Monday, December 23, 2013

Merry Christmas - 2013!

I can't believe Christmas is almost here!  When I checked back on my list I made earlier this month I see I wasn't able to do all my things on my list.  Let's see... I did finish my shopping on time, however my wrapping isn't done. I didn't go caroling , however, I did go to a Christmas party where we sang some caroling songs.  Jack and I saw some wonderful Christmas lights while we are in San Francisco last week. So all in all I don't think I did too bad. How about you did you get all that you wanted to get done this Christmas season?  I really love this time of year so full of hope and love!


Some of you are already aware that I did get accepted to the clinical trial at UCSF.   Praise God! My first day was Wednesday (12/18) of last week.   Let me reiterate and say that I'm in this clinical trial not because I don't have other options, it's because  my cancer is slow-growing and my doctor thought that I would benefit from this clinical trial. If this clinical trial doesn't work I do have other options drugs.

I may get kinda clinical in my explanation but it's only for other ladies who may have the same diagnoses. I hope you never have to understand or know these terms.  This trial is for metastatic breast cancer patients who are ER+PR+HER-   It's called the Study of LEE011, BYL719 and Letrozole (Femora) in Advanced ER+ Breast Cancer.  It's in Phase II in the study they are determining dosing and side effects.  This is an international study being done in the USA,  Australia,   France,   Hong Kong,   Israel,   Italy,   and Spain.  Only 300 patients total in this current phase spread out in these countries.  I'm not sure of the final count at UCSF but I think it's 3 now.  Because they are testing 3 different combinations I think currently I'm the only one at UCSF on BYL719 & Letrozole.  In about 2-3 months they will be accepting more people in this trial.

The reason this clinical trial is so important is because there are minimal side effects and the drug's longevity (24 months).  This drug is supposed to stop tumor growth and may reduce it.  Here the link should anyone want read the details; http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/record/NCT01872260

I feel very blessed and honored that I was selected in this study. This is huge step in cancer research.  I'm doing this for the future of my family and friends.  I also donated my biopsy tissue to cancer research.  They will study will test my cancer tissue and find out what drugs my cancer is and isn't resistant to. Isn't that fascinating?

In the past couple of days I have been adjusting to this new drug and also had to go off the fentanyl pain patch.  Been feeling nauseous and fatigue but that seems to be going away.  Jack too was sick with flu, but he seems to be feeling better too!  Thank God!

I pray you all have a very Merry Christmas filled with joy and laughter!


No comments:

Post a Comment